Thursday, June 23, 2011

life in the slow lane

Here I am, deciding to share a bit of myself and my world of chickens, dogs, and cooking. Yes, as the title implies, I wear aprons! I am thrilled to own a vintage collection that my mom gave me. She found a whole bag at a garage sale for a dollar! Whoo-hoo! Because they are so old, I often wonder what stories the aprons could tell me about the lives of the women who tied those same strings around their waists that I tie around mine. How many children shyly peeked out from behind my cheerful aprons? Were they used to gather eggs, hold firewood, or maybe wipe away a few tears? Were they worn when they walked to a neighbor's house to share a morning cup of coffee? Did the apron pockets hold clothes pins while the wash was being hung on the line? Oh, the history in these simple squares of fabric with two strings!




Today my apron was happily tied to me as I made plum jam, strawberry jam, and a peach pie. Yippee - a very long kitchen day filled with sticky, sweet messes! Although, I'm not exactly thrilled with the resulting jams, the pie was delicious. My husband loves peach pie, but I usually don't because I think the crust gets kind of gummy. I have made this same pie once before, using a recipe from the Brown-Eyed Baker, and it was wonderful both times. Maybe I am becoming a peach pie lover! Either way, I am a peach pie maker complete with sugared apron strings tied around my waist!

2 comments:

  1. We should do a photo shoot with the aprons!!! How fun would that be. All the wifeys?! We could make cookies and pose with them too and curl our hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Let's plan it. It'll be extra fun with Stephanie's pregnant tummy sticking out!

    ReplyDelete