Saturday, July 2, 2011

best whole grain pancakes - ever!

This is my favorite cookbook!

I love to bake - and eat anything sweet, especially if it's homemade. But I always feel guilty afterwards. That's why I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my King Arthur's Whole Grain Baking Book. If I'm gonna eat my dessert, I want to cancel out some of the bad with some yummy whole grains!

This book is amazing! Everything I've baked from it has been so tasty with the exception of Chocolate Chip Banana Bread - which I don't like anyway. I've been making notes on every recipe I try, so that my future bakers will know just what I thought.

And what do I think of the whole grain pancakes? Well, let me just say, this: there is no reason to make any other kind again! Forget the crumbly, white flour kind you find in a bag or box at the grocery store. Yuck! I never used those mixes anyway. These are tender as can be and taste so fresh and wholesome! The first time I served them to my son Jimmy, I had to be sneaky and didn't tell him they were whole grain because, at the time, he didn't think he liked anything whole grain. I'm excited to report that he devoured them, and so did his lovely wife Liesa!

The full recipe is at the bottom of the page.

These are the ingredients

- Whole Grain Pancake mix
(Made from the book and stored in the freezer for quick use)
- A large egg
- Milk
- Yogurt
- Orange Juice
(The OJ takes away the bitter taste that some people find in whole wheat)



After you stir everything together, you let it sit for fifteen minutes. 
This allows the bran from the whole wheat to be absorbed.

This is what mine looked like after I let it sit for about an hour. 
Like the three bears - I went for a walk.



Cakes on the griddle.



Yummy! Even Tom likes whole grain pancakes!



My plate - I ate every bite! 
The eggs were fried in my cast iron skillet without using oil.


Here's the modified King Arthur recipe for the mix:

3-1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (grind them until their chopped fine, but not a powder)
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon soda
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients first. Add the vegetable oil slowly while mixer is still running until a clump of mix will hold together if you squeeze it in your hand. If not, add one tablespoon of oil at a time until the consistency is correct. Store indefinitely in an airtight container in the freezer.

For pancakes:

1 cup mix
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 large egg

Stir together, then let stand for at least fifteen minutes or the batter will remain thin. Cook on griddle or cast iron skillet for 3-4 minutes on first side; 1-2 minutes on second. I never oil my griddle. If you've got a great griddle, and  it gets to the right temperature, you shouldn't need to. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love the white plates. Look so clean and fresh.

    ReplyDelete