Sunday, July 10, 2011

seventeen: thousands of books


I love to read. As a little girl, I like to say I was either reading or running. Being the youngest of six kids, I remember being starved to read. I'd especially watch my dad, who, in my mind, read all the time. He worked in a lumber mill, and he left for work in the afternoon. Right before work, he'd lie on the couch, relax and read. I so wanted to read, just like he did. One time I saw him read a fat comic books for kids - in one day!  Boy oh boy, was I ever impressed. In one day! Of course, he laughed at me when I told him that I couldn't believe it.

When I started Kindergarten, it was my first school experience. It doesn't seem like there was really even preschool, which I wouldn't have gone to anyway, because mom was home. Kindergarten back then was to prepare for school. That was where you learned letters and numbers and how to behave. Nowadays, it's almost absurd what kids need to know before they go to Kindergarten. I was taught to read in Kindergarten, and it wasn't very common. Our teacher picked just three of us to leave the classroom, where we got special treatment to learn to read. I was so thrilled! After that, I practically ate books!

So this Kindle is such an amazing invention. It holds tens of thousands of books. I have the Kindle app on my iPad, but when my friend Tamara recently got a Kindle, I was convinced that I should get one, too/ This became really obvious after I decided to read my iPad and take walk at the same time. I was in the middle of the Hunger Games, and just had to finish the book. It would have been fine and dandy, except for in the bright sunshine, the iPad has a terrible glare. Plus, even though the iPad is light, the Kindle weighs next to nothing. If I drop it, it probably wouldn't even hurt it, but the iPad would definitely get damaged hitting the blacktop.

Walking outside and reading might sound a bit tricky, but all I do it walk up and down my driveway - which is about a half-mile long. I don't have to watch for traffic or anything like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment